Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm assuming the "pension payout" you got was from a 401k, a qualified plan. If this is true, you are right, you can get back the 20% tax that was taken by rolling the money into a traditional IRA within 60 days of the date the check was cut. Over 60 days, you can't roll it and the tax, plus a 10% penalty if you are under 59 1/2, will accrue.
After you have this money in a traditional IRA, if your adjusted gross income is in the range that makes you eligible for a Roth, you can consider the conversion. However, the initial rollover has to be to a traditional IRA. So what you must do is select a custodian, do the paper work, and send the check plus the withheld 20%.
To get your refund you'll file early in 2001 as soon as you have your paperwork!
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.