No. of Recommendations: 4
I'm considering implementing a fee for anyone who attempts this. If someone purchases and gets the information then asks for a refund, I will refund the purchase amount minus a "processing fee" or whatever name I might apply.

As a consumer, I've seen it both ways. Some sites advertise their "no quibble" refund policy. Other sites quietly have a $25 or so processing fee for returns.

In my personal life, I'm leery of sites with processing fees. As a consumer, I think there are far too many sites that fatten their revenues at my expense without delivering any additional value to me. Your efforts to reduce pilfering may also reduce legitimate sales. OTOH, I'm talking about sites whose primary customers are "Joe Six-Pack" and they're selling directly to the end-user.

In my professional life, I'm accustomed to paying processing fees. For example, I may register to attend a professional conference. If I cancel my registration before 30 days before the conference, then I expect to pay a 10% or $100 (or whatever) processing fee. If I cancel my registration less than 30 days before the conference, too bad.

In my mind, the bottom line is your customer base. If you were trying to attract me as a personal customer, I'd avoid your site if you charged for returns. If you were trying to attract me as a professional customer, a return charge probably wouldn't affect me.

Perhaps one way to address the problem is to provide a free sample of your product on your web site. The free sample MIGHT cut down on the number of customers who order your product seeking something for nothing.

David Jacobs
TMFDj111
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.