Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm considering moving my 401K money from a previous employer into a self directed Roth IRA. I'm currently using for my trading. Anyone have
experience with using suretrade for self directed Roth IRA's?

This question is indicative of a larger problem we have in educating our population regarding investing for retirement. We continually hear the terms Traditional IRA, Roth IRA, Rollover IRA, and 401K but still confuse them with specific investments or brokerage offerings. Each of us needs to understand that:

a) Each of these terms (IRA, etc) refers to a tax-deferred account in which an individual can maintain a variety of individual investments such as stocks, bonds, CDs, etc.

b) Each of the investment types (IRA, etc) must be administered by a financial institution, such as Fidelity, your bank, or Suretrade.

c) Your choice of financial institution to administer your portfolio will determine both the costs which are applied to your portfolio as well as the individual investment options open to you. In other words, think carefully before you select your financial institution.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.