Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm curious, does transferring money into a retirement fund affect tax liability? I should have done it earlier, but I just started putting money into a 401k plan.

The devil is in the details.

Making pre-tax 401(k) contributions reduce your current income taxes because every dollar you put in the 401(k) reduces your current taxable income (reduces W-2, Box 1). However, when you start taking money out of the 401(k) in retirement, it will be counted then as ordinary income.

Likewise, deductible contributions to a Traditional IRA reduce your current income taxes (again, taxable when the money comes out). You should check if you can make deductible contributions to a Traditional IRA before actually contributing; generally, if you cannot deduct contributions to a Traditional IRA but you are able to contribute to a Roth IRA, Roth IRA contributions are more valuable than non-deductible contributions to a Traditional IRA. See IRS Publication 590.

But non-deductible contributions to a Traditional IRA or contributions to a Roth IRA do not affect your current income taxes. All withdrawals from a Traditional IRA, except for the part corresponding to non-deductible contributions, would be taxed when the money comes out in retirement. However, all withdrawals from a Roth IRA, as long as you follow the appropriate rules, are tax free (e.g., had a Roth IRA for at least 5 years and the withdrawal takes place after one has turned 59.5 years old).

I am contributing up to my legal limit to my 403(b) (think of this as roughly the non-profit equivalent of a 401(k)--I work for a community college and we don't have a 401(k) available to us) so my current taxes are far less than they could be (but will be paid in retirement as I withdraw those funds at that time). I and likewise I am contributing up to my legal limit into my Roth IRA, which doesn't affect current taxes but, at least under current law, would be tax free when I retire. A couple years ago I did some restructuring of my portfolio so the taxable investments are more tax friendly than they were three years ago, plus when I did that I ended up realizing a good chunk of capital losses that are reducing taxable income at a tune of $3,000/yr until the capital losses are used up against capital gains (which I should be realizing just a little each year) and up to $3,000/yr of income. Plus living in a relatively high income tax state (9% state marginal tax rate), paying mortgage interest and property tax on my principal residence and making 501(c)(3) contributions to causes I believe in add up on Schedule A so that helps the tax bite.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.