Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm curious why you don't carry a bit more entry speed into Riverside and use the track out room you have there. Seems like enough time to get back over to the right for that left handed kink that follows. No?

Great question, and a great suggestion. The answer is that it was my first race after a 16 year gap, so my skills and bravery were impeded by a few hundred pounds of rust. Also, that was the car's first race after a total ground-up resurrection that included numerous major modifications, so the setup was not confidence inspiring. Riverside is the one real confidence corner on the track, and mine was less than perfect.

I expected to have all sorts of issues regaining my driving skills, but the one that I have had the most problem with is a very basic one. I'm having a hard time seeing a corner, visualizing the racing line through it, and driving that line. All of the usual difficult skills like threshold braking, downshift blips, trail braking etc. came back very quickly, but not that one. I'm in the middle of another driving gap, but when I get started again, I plan to only autocross for a year or two so that I can blast the rust away without risking my life in the process.

If anyone has suggestions on how to fix that particular problem, please let me know.

In case you were wondering why everyone was so nice to each other on the track, the west coast Pro FF series has a no-move rule: no blocking, period. If you get a good enough run on the other guy, the pass is yours. The same applies for the other guy. That's the best idea I have come across in a very long time. It encourages passing and reduces the risk of contact at the same time.

Neil
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.