Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm currently with ING and have been for several years. I'm comfortable with them but notice that other online banks now have better rates. Is there a catch to the better rates? What am I paying for with a lower rate?

Hi Edy!

I also have been a very happy customer of ING, and have, as you, had it for several years. But the difference in rates became too great of late for me not to add other accounts with some equally reputable online banks.

I now have accounts with HSBC, Emigrant and ING. There are no strings attached to the rates, they're just better than ING. I had a sizeable chunk of cash to put away and I didn't want to settle for the 4.35% ING was giving me, so I put it into Emigrant, along with a good amount into HSBC. This frees me up to move funds around if the rates vary enough between the banks to make it worthwhile.

There's no downside, imo, to having more than one online account.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.