Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm currently working as a "geek" in the rent-a-geek profession. My employer is a small business (18 people), and I provide IT (information technology) related services to my customers. Right now, the IT side of the business is limited to two people, so I am in the process of learning both the business, and the technical side of things.

I have a BS in Computer Info. Systems, and a few years of experience. What I do is design, implement, and support computer networks for small and medium sized businesses (between 5 people and 150 people). Most of our solutions are designed around Microsoft products (being a MS-Certified Partner), and I have an industry certification (MCSE).

The computer business - e.g. selling computers, or repairing them for home users is clearly suffering due to the how cheap computers have become. However, your typical office PC with properly licensed software will run anywhere from $1000 - $1500. On top of that, moving up the chain from small to medium sized businesses, you'll find that it is usually easier to get monies approved for service and repair work, than it is for improvements (e.g. buying new PCs).

Which brings me to the point of my posting... The more time I spend in this business, the more I can see myself being in business doing this for myself. The company I work for isn't really interested in growing the IT business much beyond 4 employees (currently at 2), and our advertising and marketing has been quite limited.

I'm interested in building a business around providing IT services to small and medium sized organizations, through significant (by comparison) marketing, and creating a diverse skill set by hiring new employees.

But where does someone start this process? Do I talk to organization that does my taxes, and find a good laywer? I have no idea where to go to get legal as it is, in terms of creating a business and legally protecting myself. Anything that anyone can do to point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

nick

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.