Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm glad you asked about tipping.

The short answer is that there is no rule. But here are some guidelines -

First, and I can't stress this enough - there is no rule that you need to tip them at all. And there's no rule that says you need to tip them all the same amount. If a guy is busting his butt for you, by all means show him some love. If he gets more than the other guys, maybe they'll get the hint for the next customer.

The average 'helper' (the guys that work for the crew leader) typically get around $10 per hour, so be reasonable. If a fellow is out there working 8 hours, and you hand him $2, it's worse than giving him nothing. If you figure he's going to get $80 for his days work, and you give him $10, that's pretty good. Anything more than 10% should probably be a reward for 'over and above' kind of service, but a lot of folks do pass out $20 to the guys for a days work.

One Note - If they ASK for a tip, call the company the next day and let them know. Most owners don't like their guys asking for it, as it can easily get intimidating. I had to fire a guy recently for doing this. He actually told the customer "If you take care of us, we'll take care of you!". Idiot.

One other note - a lot of people (and I mean a LOT) give the movers furniture and other items they don't want any more. I have one guy that works for me that has a projection TV, a nordic trak, and a bow-flex that were all donated. I have a sofa in my office that was donated, as well as a BBQ Grill etc. This is a great way of killing 2 birds with one stone. If a guy has worked hard for you, and you want to get rid of something, consider it.

As far as the food/drink thing, I just posted a message 'Hints for an easy move' that talks about that...

Thanks
Gary
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.