No. of Recommendations: 2
...I'm healthy and can see myself working to 70....

Given that you are 59 and assuming that you are a male then there is about a 20% chance that you will die before you turn 70. You may want to consider living more moderately and retiring earlier. You can figure out your death expectancy by using the table at;

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/STATS/table4c6.html

...I have some stock in the company I work for; today $320m...

As the people at Enron found out it is not wise to have too high a percentage of your assets in your companies stock. I can't imagine that anyone would recommend more than 10% (or better 5%) of your assets be in any one stock, including you companies stock. Probably better to sell it sooner rather than later depending on the tax consequences. Be sure to check the tax consequences very carefully, you may run into AMT and other pitfalls

...$this....$that...
You probably are under social security and your employer may have some sort of pension plan that you didn't list. Be sure to include these in your planning. While there has been a lot of talk about social security going belly up, realistically that isn't likely to happen.

....totally new to this . .. Is this wise?...
You are at an income and asset level where you can afford to get professional advice and planning. Plan on paying for this by the hour, someone who gets paid on commission will likely ream you and put you in bad investments. Run if the try so sell you an annuity because they are rarely an appropriate investment but they usually pay high commissions to the “advisor”.

Greg

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.