Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
[[I'm in the process of helping my generation-x son fill out his 1040 form, the problem is he's
neglected to file his taxes for the last three years. Can anyone tell me if he has to file three seperate
1040 forms, one for each year, or is there a better way?]]

Since I don't know what your boy's income might be, you may first want to check and make sure that he is REQUIRED to file. If you determine that he is, then you'll be required to file a 1040 for each year that he did not file.

If you find that he owes tax, you'll need to file for every year that a return was not previously filed. But if you find that he was to receive a refund, don't go back any farther than 1994. Why? Because anything before tax year 1994 is already out of the statute of limitations. And any claim for refund that you make will be denied.

And, if he has a refund for 1994, you need to get that return in ASAP...certainly before 4-15-98...when THAT statute will expire and any claim for refund will be denied.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.