Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm just curious about how bad it gets when you just don't pay them? What do you mean by "they decided to treat me like the scum of the.."? I am just trying to figure out if the fight is worthed not filing BK to be done with the sob's.

The answer to that question depends on what assets you have. If you have no non-exempt assets (determined by state law), the worst that can happen to you is a lot of harrassment, phone calls, etc. Creditors can get downright nasty at times. Expect calls early Sunday mornings or late in the evening. You can avoid this by installing caller ID or just unplugging the phone. If the calls are coming from a collection agency (not the original creditor) you can send them a cease and desist letter, telling them not to contact you again. If they continue to contact you, they violate the FDCPA and may be subject to a lawsuit. The only thing you really need to worry about is a levy on your bank account right after you deposit a paycheck. Be careful how much cash you keep in your bank accounts, it can disappear overnight if a creditor gets a judgment against you. As long as you have nothing that the creditor can attach or seize, you are pretty much home free.

If you have too much equity in a home or car, that is a different story. You need the advice of a good lawyer to make sure you protect what you have.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.