No. of Recommendations: 3
I'm looking for a similar diversified portfolio but leaning heavily towards income. Has anyone seen something like this?

I see it every time I look at my brokerage statement ;)

http://boards.fool.com/here-is-our-list-its-not-screened-for...

I started with the Dividend Champions spreadsheet that dfish uploads onto the Dividend Growth Investing page here at the Fool. Then I took a short term subscription (again) to Valueline and picked a bunch of stocks and printed them out.

Then arbitrarily I knocked out a couple of companies I don't want to have anything to do with (tobacco, for instance, which helped me wreck my lungs). Then I looked at P/E's and all that falderall, and then I bought a healthy slug of those that were left.

At the time the payout was well over 4%, although since prices have risen the "percent" will probably be a little less now. I don't care, I'm not after "yield to get rich", I'm after "reliable dividend stream to live on" which is what I have.

I avoided MLPs because I had two a decade ago and it was a nightmare at income tax time. I have Reits only in the healthcare field, which I think will hold up even in recession, and the rest are corporate stalwarts, good reliable dividend payors across many many years.

We also have a few non-dividend payers left over from previous investing strategies and which I do not want to cash out because of tax implications (BRK is one that comes to mind quickly) and I have a couple of non-dividend payers that are just there for fun (Facebook, which I got at $17.)

But yeah, you can avoid all the muss and fuss with a couple of ETF's; there are many which are oriented towards income and which give you tremendous diversity, although in any market swoon - as we have seen - they all seem to swoon at once, eh?
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.