Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

I'm making my first attempt at using the RuleMaker Anaysis Excel Spreadsheet, and I chose BGG for my test. However, I am having trouble coming up with candidates for competition. Does anyone have any suggestions?

FoolRM,

Here's some data I found from the Briggs and Stratton 10-K in regards to their direct competition:

The small gasoline engine industry is highly competitive. The Company's major domestic competitors in engine manufacturing are Tecumseh Products Company, Honda Motor Co., Ltd., Kohler Co. and Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. Also, two
domestic lawn mower manufacturers, Toro Co. under its Lawn-Boy brand, and Honda, manufacture their own engines. Eight Japanese small engine manufacturers, of which Honda and Kawasaki are the largest, compete directly with the Company in world markets in the sale of engines and indirectly through their sale of end products that compete with the end products produced by the Company's customers. Tecumseh Europa S.p.A., located in Italy, is a major competitor in Europe.

I'm not sure how many of the companies listed above are public, but that should be a good start. I know Tecumseh Products trades under the symbol TECUB, for what its worth.

I have noticed, however, that their seems to be a huge seasonality to the Cash and Equivalents on their balance sheet (not surprising, really). In such instances, would it be more Foolish to look at a 6 month or 1 year period instead of a quarter?

Ah ... good question. This is something that I often wondered about as well. I usually try and use the largest sample of data available, as long as it is consistent between the base company and the three competitors. For example, I wouldn't mix quarterly data from one company with yearly data from another. My feeling is that using a larger sample helps to eliminate any bizarre results that could be caused because of one bad quarter. On the flip side, however, is that one bad quarter may be the hint that things are going sour for your company, and using a large sample size may end up masking that fact.

Hope this helps in doing your research.

the LanceMan
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.