Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm maxed out on my 401K contributions, and we put $2,000 each (my wife and I) in Roth IRAs. Is there anywhere else we can rathole some money with some tax breaks?

If there are stocks or tax-efficient mutual funds that you want to invest in for the long haul, the fact that the investment is in a taxable account won't necessarily mean much current tax. Capital gains are not taxed until you sell, and then at favored rates if you've held for more than a year.

Phil Marti

Hot off the press! Check out The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide 2001. It comes complete with a money-back guarantee. (Sorry, the steak knives are extra.)
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.