Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10
It looks like it's one of the rare places you can escape obnoxious building codes and their minions, building inspectors...

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 61
SP: That is a completely horrible think to joke about. I am disgusted.
No. of Recommendations: 3
<< Recommendations: 6

SP: That is a completely horrible think to joke about. I am disgusted.
>>

It's irony, Ginko, irony. You don't really think I'm packing my bags, do you?

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 48
>>It's irony,<<

Call it what you want, I saw it as insensitve and inappropriate.

Kath
lurks more than posts but had to comment on this one
No. of Recommendations: 13
Irony and humor are often the way I deal with overwhelming tragedy and devastation, and I believe a lot of people also react this way. I did not find it offensive.

JK
Who also felt compelled to comment
No. of Recommendations: 5
I did not find it offensive.

Neither did I. Knowing his history of anti-regulation, anti-government-"interference", I found it humorous (in a black-humor sort of way).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_comedy
No. of Recommendations: 3

I didn't either. SP seems to have an abrupt style is all. I do think it was poor taste seeing that people are still dying at the moment, but different people react in different ways. I also deal with tragedy through humor but I think I'm a little more careful about timing and audience.

AC *jokes about the WTC didn't go over well until two years had passed*
No. of Recommendations: 0

I didn't either - especially given the obvious sarcasm of the message. But some people are thin-skinned so it doesn't surprise me.
No. of Recommendations: 11
<<I did not find it offensive.>>

When I try out my anti government lines on my sister in law, she often mentions how much worse earthquakes and such would be without building codes.

So I was imagining how she plans to skewer me when I try out that line of argument the next time.

From the pictures of the damages, a lot of those buildings seems to have been pulverized by the earthquake far worse than any other such pictures I have seen. It's entirely possible that an absence of building codes and standards contributed materially to the devastation.

I'm betting we will be hearing more about that in the months to come.

In the meantime, I was taking a shot at conservatives and Republicans like myself. My apologies to anyone who was offended.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 1
My opinion is that generally when thousands of people are killed and many more are suffering right now, it's an inappropriate time for humor. I would challenge anyone who would disagree, to find any jokes currently being told by the talk show comedians.

A lighthearted comment about a lack of building codes however, doesn't seem to carry enough weight to distract from the tragedy all of us should be feeling in our hearts.

Paul T.
Funny Little Boy!
In the meantime, I was taking a shot at conservatives and Republicans like myself. My apologies to anyone who was offended.

I thought it was more of a shot at Libertarians who don't like rules and regulations.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I find SP's comment/humor to be very appropriate form of sarcasm.

IF YOU ARE OFFENDED or saddened by people victimized in Haiti or in similar situations throughout the world it is perfectly right and perhaps neccessary for you to take your own actions of choice to mitigate their suffering. IF YOU HAVE DONE NOTHING to help the plight of these people then dont pretend to be sensitive and offended by someones choice of humor. If you are one of those who have taken no action but insist that you are sensitive to their plight then spare us your dishonesty.