Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1

Went to the doctor last week. I brought a "journal" of the symtptoms and thoughts I was having. Writing down what I was thinking and feeling each day helped to pinpoint some key symptoms. I was feeling better at the doctor so without the journal I would have sugar coated some of the symptoms.

He started me on WellbutrinXL 150 and now, 7 days later, I started taking the 300's. Initially on the 150's I felt great. I was relaxed, content, and just at ease. No anxiety, depression, or ill thoughts. Then I fell back into depresive thoughs and the symptoms came back. It was like a tease at how I may feel later. My next visit is in a week. I will have been on the full dose for 2 weeks so hopefully they will be some noticable change (for the better).

Now I am at a point where I want to tell some close friends and my family. Any suggestions on how to do that? I am not very comforting, or normally emotional. However, after talking to some friends, they have noticed a change so they think something is up.

Thanks for your help!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
i started out on Wellbutrin XL 150mg and recently up it to 300mg. made a world of difference for my depression.

good luck.
Now I am at a point where I want to tell some close friends and my family. Any suggestions on how to do that? I am not very comforting, or normally emotional. However, after talking to some friends, they have noticed a change so they think something is up.

Hi Matt,

Glad to hear the Wellbutrin is starting to work, and people are noticing the difference in your emotional state (which was apparently visible, even though you don't feel you're normally emotional).

Have friends or family said anything to you about noticing a change in your behavior or outlook? If you're ready to tell people, take any comment they make about you seeming more cheerful or the like as an opportunity to let them know what's going on. Say something like, "Yeah, I got to feeling pretty down without any good reason, so I talked to my doctor, and he's prescribed some antidepressants. They seem to be working, since I'm feeling much better now."

If no one's actually said anything to you about a change, you might ask them if they think you've been acting differently, and tailor what you tell them about your depression to how they respond.

People can be funny about it. You may find that some people understand and are supportive, while others don't get it and just think people who are down should "buck up!" :-[

We'll be here if you need to talk about the responses you get. You can be pretty sure someone will have had a similar experience.

Cori
I brought a "journal" of the symtptoms and thoughts I was having. Writing down what I was thinking and feeling each day helped to pinpoint some key symptoms. I was feeling better at the doctor so without the journal I would have sugar coated some of the symptoms.

--------------------------

Bringing your journal was a great idea! I've already made an appointment with a counselor, only to have a really "up" day when the appointment actually came, so I ended up feeling like I shouldn't have made the appointment, but then later on worse days I was sorry I hadn't unloaded more. Great idea, Matt.