Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm not diabetic (yet), but I'm close to a brother who is type 2 and there's plenty more on both sides of my family, even among slender people. Sometimes your genes are against you.

You're doing the right things as far as I can tell, with one possible exception:

Unless you log every bite/sip of food, you might be getting more carbs/sugar than you think. For example, a burger on a bun w/ketchup and maybe pickle relish--everything but the burger is not only processed but contains added sugar (maybe even the burger, depending on where the meat was purchased it could have additives).

I would ditch the bagels except as rare treats. I have a bagel about once every 3 months, including yesterday. It has 42 grams of carbs according to MyFitnessPal, where I log every bite & sip I take. (I started logging my food because I thought I ate pretty well and couldn't understand why I was putting on weight. Now that I restrict to 1300 calories day and keep carbs under 100/day, I no longer gain weight. I'm not losing it, though. Bummer-)

I would have less wine as a serving--a half glass, 2.5 oz, instead of whole glass of 5 oz.

I would either skip the rice with a stir fry or eat a small (like 1/2 cup cooked) serving of brown rice. I have made this change myself so I know it isn't too traumatic.

I've stopped eating pasta and got a spiralizer for "zoodles" (zucchini noodles). And I've stopped eating cereal for breakfast except for an occasional small bowl of old-fashioned (whole grain) oatmeal, which I cook in milk and add flax seed and hemp seed, and sweeten with grated apple. Or homemade granola (mine is mostly nuts--and it's awesome).

I don't exactly eat desserts any more. Mainly "chia pudding"--plain kefir or coconut milk, chia seeds, and stevia. Sometimes I add chopped nuts and/or a few berries.

Make sure that whenever you do eat carbs, they're accompanied by protein and fat. SO if you're eating a few crackers, put cheese, nut butter, hummus, or even butter on them. And make sure they're whole grain with no additives (I like Finn Crisp. It's made of whole grain rye flour, water, salt, and yeast--depending on flavor, it might have sesame or caraway seeds--that's it).

You also want to be sure to eat plenty of fiber. MyFitnessPal tracks that, too. "Experts" say you should get 14 grams of fiber per 1,000 calories. SO say you eat the average woman's calories (1600) per day. You should eat around 23 grams of fiber. I usually manage 25 on 1300 cals, so I know it's not too hard.

I keep telling my dr I think I'm becoming diabetic, but since my A1c was 4.9, she rejects that theory. My fasting blood glucose was 108 last time, though. And I had my insulin measured a few years ago (different dr), and it was above the normal range once and near the top the next time.

Some people think that even fake sugar is bad for you--that it affects insulin resistance. I don't know, but I avoid fake sugar other than stevia in chia pudding. I still put a few drops of honey in homemade salad dressings and some marinades, but I learned to drink my coffee sans sweetener. And I get a Starbucks coffee maybe twice a year. (You should see the mad scramble to find the sugar or fake sugar in the kitchen when we have dinner/house guests!)

Best of luck to you, 2gifts.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.