No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm not opposed to the idea of having it in the backtester, but I think the idea of dropping the #1 stock is silly. It's just too hard to figure out if those poor #1s are real or not. How can we know?

Remember, our screens really depend on the first steps to get a good base of stocks. The final sort is, in my opinion, a rough way to get the best stocks near the top. When the returns decrease as we go down positions, that means we might have a good final sort, but if the final sort just manages to get the best stocks in slots 1-5 instead of 6-10, I think we ought to be pretty happy with that, too.

That's not to say I don't believe there might be something happening in real life to make #2 better than #1, but maybe not. Historical contingency and all that.

Taking a bunch of #1 position stocks to make a portfolio feels better to me than taking a bunch of #2s.

--Toast
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.