No. of Recommendations: 0

I'm not so sure that equity investing should be very different for an old person than for a young person, other than two things. 1) A young person probably has more years to ride out a downward fluctuation due to volatility. 2) A young person probably has only a little money invested, so he HAS to take higher risks--and can afford to, since he has little to lose.

But.....I think live expectancy is about age 80, so even at 69 you have 11 years to go.

FWIW, I think that if I had six figures to invest (assuming, of course, that we only count those digits that are left of the decimal point!), I'd put 10% into a UG5 portfolio, and split the rest in staggered UV4+ or UV5/6+ portfolios. However often you feel like trading (monthly, bi-monthly, or quarterly), set it up for the appropriate number of UV mini-portfolios. IOW, it you don't mind trading once a month, run 18 UV portfolios, one expiring each month, each with an 18 month holding period. Each month, rebalance in the UG, and in that month's UV. If you only want to mess with it once a quarter, run 6 UVs, one expiring each quarter, each with an 18 month holding period. Then once each quarter, rebalance in the UG, and in the UV that expires in that quarter.

For living expenses, each trading period (monthly or quarterly), withdraw as much cash as you'll need to live on until the next period. According to studies I have read, you should be able to draw down 8%-12% a year and still never run out of money.

OTOH, if all this is too much bother for you, I'd put it all in an index fund, or the O'Shaughnessey Cornerstone Growth/Value funds, and tell them to send me a check every month.

My only other thoughts would be to withdraw your money from those mutual funds, and invest it in the First National Bank of Ray.

Regards,

Ray Van Tassle

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.