Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm not sure what the fuss is here -- that is certainly not an indictment of anybody's opinion here, as I'm notoriously slow on the uptake when it comes to figuring out what any operant objections might be, but it seems to me that Max's commentary was pretty much straightforward and commonsensical.

Somebody posts something hostile on a Yahoo board. Somebody else takes offense. The offended party brings legal action. Those who made the posts are surprised to find that the Internet is not quite as anonymous a forum as they had suspected it was. Gulp! Maybe we should all pause to reassess our behavior online. Moral of the story: Be careful what you say. Libel and slander laws apply online just as they do offline. So play nice, kids. Because it's the smart thing to do.

Where anyone finds Max's commentary as an endorsement of CSFB's lawsuit, I don't know. Seems to me he was just sizing up the situation: if you post something hostile, be careful, because somebody might object. It's the nature of the neighborhood we live in, and it's best to acknowledge that fact. Just as in the real world, people are going to be aggressive at times if they feel it will protect their interests. Yes?

I realize that there are all sorts of other issues that folks object to in the Fool's behavior. I happen to be sympathetic to a great deal of that criticism (especially regarding our disclosure policies). But to enlarge Max's very appropriate commentary into some grand violation of trust is a bit of a stretch, IMO.

Litigation happens,
Cheeze
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.