Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm not sure why you say that: "the gains made in my IRA are taxed as regular income when I withdray them, while the gains made in the brokerage account are long-term capital gains."

If you are putting your (already taxed) money into a ROTH IRA, as long as you make QUALIFIED distributions (and I'd read TMF Pixy's article on what qualified distributions entail), then any gains you make on your investment are TAX FREE. Period. You do not pay taxes on them if you meet all the qualifications for taking distributions.

In other words, you pay taxes on the money you originally put in, because it's after-tax income. But after that, if you play by the distribution rules, you can grow that money as much as Foolishly possible - and not pay a penny of tax on it ever again!

If you are planning on going with an IRA account, and you're able to wait until your distributions become qualified, then I can't think of a better way to go!
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.