Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
i'm really confused by this ratio. Basically it rewards companies for allowing their accounts payables to exceed their scheduled payment dates.

Not necessarily true. A company with a lot of juice with its supplier can negotiate a ridiculously generous financing deal.

One of the reasons a lot of companies don't want to sell to walmart is that they dictate when they are going to pay which is usually 120 days plus. now the fool claims that walmart is an industry leader for being able to do this and is managing their cash correctly, but i don't agree. hopefully, you can explain this reasoning to me or is there something i am not understanding? thank you

I think it's mostly because your experience is from the wrong side of the table. From Walmart's (and their shareholder's) point of view, they have enough purchasing power that they can dictate this kind of payment schedule and get their suppliers to fall in line. The reason they fall in line is because they can't affort to lose Walmart as a customer.

There are other ways to lower a Flowie, the Flowie is a function of the industry more than the individual company. Inventoryless industries obviously get an edge in their Flowie. Having significant amounts of deferred revenue is one of the most common reasons I've seen for a low (< 1.00) Flowie.

Marv
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.