Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm starting to tutor several students. I will be getting paid.

Congratulations! And you will be incurring income tax as a result (both federal and state)

I guess I need to know how to handle taxes on this income.

It's self-employment income. You are responsible for paying income tax, social security and medicare taxes, and the employer portion of social security and medicare taxes (these are referred to as "self-employment taxes).

know most often other tutors I've talked to have considered this pretty much under the table

Then they're violating tax law and if the IRS find out about it, the tutors are in trouble. (The IRS has a tip line if you are feeling vindictive)

one parent has just asked me how to handle taxes, if he needs to report anything.

Unless you by some fluke qualify for the "household employee" criterion (extremely unlikely) the parent doesn't need to do anything. If s/he wants to s/he can ask you for a W-9 to get your SSN, then use the W9 to fill out a 1099 and file it with the IRS, but that's not required. Taxes are the independent contractor's (your) responsibility.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.