Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm sure you'll find this hard to believe, I did at first, but there is one very simple answer: the data doesn't exist anymore. Yes, they just threw it out.

I, for one, would find this very difficult to believe (perhaps you have specific examples???). Coca Cola and other companies have records going back to their origional recipes. Tobacco companies, who had, and continue to have a large amount of dollars on the line, retained records of research they did many years ago, even to their own detriment.

I just don't believe that a company would throw away the records on projects that cost them millions of dollars. Certainly they would have records going back at least the last 15-20 years, which would probably be the most valuable and most easily interpreted data.

Research scientists are usually very methodical people. Even if company records don't exist, the memories and personal records of those that have worked in the field for many years would be an invaluable resource. These people are probably still employed by the major pharmas.

That's just my 2 cents.

Matt
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.