Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up. Actually, I'm 29 years old and am about to make a career change kind of late in the game. I'm going to go back to college and get a second major in CIS. I don't know if this is the best plan, but I figure it's a least a good start if I want to be an IT/IS Professional.

My question involves what kind of computer professional to I want to be. The school I'm going to offers 3 main CIS disciplines to study, and I'm trying to decide between 2 of those: either Programming or Network Engineering. One of my friends drew an analogy beteen this and the building of houses. He said a house architect would be like a Programmer and the Land Developer would be like the Network Engineer. Then he said, neither is better than the other, but that they are quite different and so the decision in choosing one over the other is important. I need help deciding whether to be a Programmer or a Network guy.

To help me to decide what major I should concentrate on, and ultimately what career path I will take, could any of you give me some guidance as to which major to go into? I'm not sure which I would enjoy doing more, but I think I could decide which I would enjoy more if I knew more about the differences between Programming and Networking. For instance, what kind of person does well in Programming and Networking, which kind of person doesn't do so well. Job prospects for each discipline, chances of gettting Entry-Level jobs for each discipline, that sort of thing. Which one is harder?

Thank you for any help you can offer. I'm going to post this message on different boards to better my chances of getting replies

Dear Gray,

Be sure to post your question in the 'Ask the Headhunter' board. That's the best place to get career advice. You can get there by typing the board name in the center space of the navigational bar below and pressing 'enter.'

Fool on!

Karen Kosoy
TMF Karen

Fools hit the airwaves. Watch Tom and Dave in an upcoming PBS special:
http://www.fool.com/press/2001/pbs.htm

Link of the Day
Want more than only your love to grow? How about considering our Couples and Cash online seminar today!
http://www.foolmart.com/Shopping/Product_View.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MF2509_01&REF=CS2508KK
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.