No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm trying to find a clear answer on this subject. I am aware of the IRA limits for yearly contributions and everything I have read indicates this is an individual limit.

You are correct.

Is the limit doubled if you are married or do we need to open a second IRA account in my wife's name? I have a Roth IRA now.

Since it's an individual limit, each individual may contribute to their own IRA. So you need to open an IRA for your wife if collectively you want to contribute more than $4k for 2007.

And on this same subject...I make 130K for my salary so I guesstimate that in due course I may no longer be eligible for contributions (I am 39 now). So, assuming I will have to open a second IRA in my wife's name, should I open a traditional account instead of another Roth? I mean, at least then I can still contribute something to it should I earn more than 160K even if there is no tax advantage any more.

My wife is not working at the moment but if she does decide to go back to work we would then obviously be over the limit.

Not so fast - the income limits for Roths are now indexed to inflation. For MFJ, the 2007 MAGI limits are:

Up to $156k - full contributions allowed
$156k - $166k - pro-rated contributions allowed
Over $166k - contributions not allowed

Additionally, the income limits are on your Modified AGI (MAGI). MAGI calculations are covered in IRS Publication 590: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590.pdf They allow you to subtract things like your 401(k) contributions, FSA or HSA contributions before you determine your eligibility. So a couple MFJ for 2007 who each max out their 401(k)s @ $15,500 and each have an individual HSA or FSA contribution @ $2850 could have an AGI of $192,700 before even reaching the phase-out range, and could make $202,700 before being completely ineligble to contribute.

So, assuming your current income rises about as much as the inflation indexing, your wife could potentially make $60k - $70k a year and you could each still be eligible to contribute to a Roth.

And, if I do have to open another one, should I go for another Roth or a traditional IRA?

Has your wife worked at all this year? If she did, and she was not covered by a retirement plan where she worked, she may be able to open a traditional deductible IRA - see the section on "Limit if Covered by an Employee Plan" in Pub 590, starting on page 15.

If she can open a deductible IRA, then the question is - deductible traditional vs. Roth - and the answer depends on if you want to take the tax benefit now or later (realizing that Congress could change the rules between now and later), and if you take the benefit now, you are willing to live with the minimum distribution requirement along with paying taxes later.

If she can't open a deductible IRA, then the choice is between a non-deductible IRA and a Roth, and a Roth is probably preferable - there are no minimum required distributions, and you will pay no taxes on withdrawals, assuming your wife is at least 59 1/2 when she takes the withdrawals, and Congress doesn't change the rules. Plus, if push comes to shove, you can withdraw your contributions from a Roth without paying any taxes or penalties.

If you get to the point where your income does not allow Roth contributions, there may be another potential way to contribute - beginning in 2010, if Congress doesn't change the rules, the income cap on conversions to a Roth are lifted. So you could contribute to a non-deductible IRA and then immediately convert to a Roth.

Also, please realize that you can each have more than one type of IRA account. So if you do get to the point where either of you can't contribute to a Roth, at that time, you can open a traditional non-deductible IRA in that person's name.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.