Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm trying to grasp the concept of intrinsic value. I'm reading Maggie Mahar's book Bull! right now and it is really great. It's helping me to see how everything works together, the media, the analysts, Congress, Greenspan, the investment banks, and the individual investor. During the tech boom stock prices became unhinged from reality ie fundamental values determined by sales,profits, assets and debt. Or, what another "business man" would pay for your business. But isn't intrinsic value/fundamental value a sort of "liquidation price" concept ie: what would we get if we sold the parts of the business seperately (the real estate, the cash flow, the equipment) and therefore shouldn't the intrinsic value of a company be discounted quite a bit? Once people know you are liquidating??
When this intrinsic value concept is applied to Berkeshire Hathaway it doesn't really work. Berkshire Hathaway is far too large an enterprise for anybody to buy. So must we figure the intrinsic value of each individual business within Berkshire? Is that what some of you intelligent folks have been doing? I'm sorry I was so glib about intrinsic value before but it still seems to be an extremely theoretical concept when applied to something as large as Berkshire which is not likely to be bought or sold in total ever.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.