Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm trying to run the RM numbers using the Foolish spreadsheet but I don't know who to pick as Softy's competitor.

Is any company significant in terms of what's needed for the spreadsheet? Any ideas?

Calvin,

Yes, choosing an appropriate competitor definitely has a significant influence on the scoring.

There are 2 ways to do this:

The first way is to evaluate Softy versus a variety of competitors, such as AOL, Sun Micro, and IBM. Then, average all of the Monopoly Status scores to come up with a final score. This method gives a total score that is representative of Softy's position in the industry.

The second way is to just pick one competitor that you view as Microsoft's foremost competitor. Admittedly, this is a tough choice. The purpose of this method would be if you're trying to decide which of 2 companies to buy within a single industry. If you know you want to buy either Sun or 'Soft, just pit the two against one another, and see which one comes out on top. Keep in mind, however, that the resulting total scores will not be as indicative of a company's position as the scores using the first method.

Eventually, we'll have a spreadsheet page that explains all this stuff. Until then, I hope this helps.

-Matt
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.