Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm unsure how the loan reads as I have no copy of it, but by court order I guarantee the loan.

Loans are publicly recorded documents. If the county that your ex lives in has internet access to public records (many do), you should be able to look to see if there has been a lien release recorded. Some counties allow you to see copies of recorded documents online, too, so you may be able to see the loan docs themselves. Google the name of the county and state, along with 'clerk' or 'recorder'. There are services that charge for this, but if you access it through the county website, just looking at the docs is usually free.

If you can't find online access (maybe because the docs are too old for the county to provide images), a local attorney or title company should be able to get you copies. Neither of these options would involve contacting your ex, and you could determine the status of the loan.

Also, if your name is on the loan as a borrower (in order to provide the guarantee), you may be able to contact the lender to determine the status of the loan.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.