Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm venturing this season to do my own taxes and was wondering what recommendations this board would have on which software to use, e.g. turbotax, taxcut, etc., if one was better than another, particularly for owning rental properties. I've had a tax preparer do my taxes the last four years, paid for by my employer because I was living overseas. Now that I'm back stateside that luxury is no longer provided as I will no longer have any foreign income recognized in '03. I don't think my tax situation is too complex, own my own home, own two rental properties in another state, charitable contributions, etc.

While your situation isn't too complex for retail tax prep software, I would generally recommend that anyone with rental properties see a tax professional. There are lots of ways to screw up.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.