No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm with FIBI...and I schedule the bill payment the day I get the bill. I usually schedule it for payment on the due date or the day before....depending on the bill.

Like Discover wants 3 days to process an ACH instead of the customary 2. When FIBI used the Metavante(?) for bill pay...they had a special case for paying Discover. Now they use CheckFree, which won't do this...so its up to me to specify a due date the day before the actual due date.

The nice thing about CheckFree is that it debits my account on the due date....with the old, it would debit the day it sends the money (2, 3 or 5 days before).

There are some exceptions where I might pay the bill earlier than the due date. But, not so much since I got out from under all that ugly debt....

Before I started using online bill pay....which has been about 8 years now (well, actually in the beginning it was telephone banking)....I used to look at a bill for its due date...and then insert it into the appropriate spot in my bills to pay stack. And, then once in a while I would check the stack on which bills need to be paid.

Sometimes I forget, get busy or put the bill in the wrong spot in the stack....so I went to paying the bill right away...or at least scheduling it online.... That means the only thing I need to worry about is keeping sufficient funds in my account.

I'm exclusively banking with FIBI these days....the B&M account I had has gone through 3 mergers/acquisitions in the last 5-6 years...last year they closed my branch...so that eliminated the only reason I was keeping a B&M account.

The Interest Checking account has a minimum average monthly balance requirement of $500 to be free....but to compute the average they take the balance on the first of the month and on the last day of the month....so you can go under $500 during the month (I often do). And, its free. Plus you get up to $6 of ATM fees rebated each month....this month might be the only month in a long time, where I will have incurred more than $6 in fees.

The Dreamer.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.