Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm wondering if there is any problem with buying X number of shares of "new" stock and selling the same number of shares of the "old" stock so I can claim long term capital gains instead of short term capital gains.

When you sell, it is possible with some brokers to indicate specifically which shares you are selling. This needs to be indicated on the trade confirmation for it to be acceptable with the IRS.

Check with your broker for the proper procedure (or if your broker even allows this).
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.