Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm working on VickiSpouse to start buying used instead of new.

Some of this for us had to do with where we lived and attitudes when we were growing up. In our case, we spent a number of years in Central PA and people pretty much bought new and kept cars about 5 years because of fears of rust issues. We continued to tend to buy new after we moved to Colorado but it was pretty easy to keep a car at least 10 years here, particualrly since we didn't much care about the hail damage.

Now we have a mixed stable. I started buying used cars for kids - the first one because I wanted some safety features and didn't want to spend the money on new. My current car was a former loaner car that was a great deal and ended up with a longer warranty than a similar new car. The car my husband drives I bought new because we couldn't wait for the model to be available used and there were features on it we wanted.

We still plan to keep them 10 years or longer. I may trade mine before that because I'm thinking about a different kind of car. Both possibilities are readily available used so I will probably go that way.

rad
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.