Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Being a Mac lover, and soon to be investor, watch for the introduction of the new Pro models. They will start off at 400MHZ and on up to the supercomputer level. Look for more daring design. (like their studio display) Look for the iMac running a 333MHZ processor, and lower pricing for the current model.

On my Mac, I am running the MacOS8.5, MkLinux, LinuxPPC, and Windows98. I feel that Apple is not stressing the flexibility of this machine enough. BTW, Nanosaur is too cool. It comes on the iMac and can be downloaded for free for the G3's.

Apple wil be running spots during the Superbowl. I wonder if they can outdo their most famous Superbowl ad, "1984"?
Print the post Back To Top
Heck, why not run the same 1984 ad but with a new line, something like, "Apple introduces the product that will keep the year 2000 from being...the year 2000."
Someone please give me (easy to tell my spouse) information on how the Mac OS or the iMac can handle PC programs, documents etc.

I worked on a Mac in 1994 and have wanted to get back to one ever since. I currently use an IBM laptop and desktop running 95 and a Dell laptop running NT 4.0. My family needs a desktop for home use and I want to purchase the iMac.

I have owned AAPL since early '97 ($19) and want to further support them through a purchase.

Help me convince my wife that I know what I thinking about.

Long live Apple and VW (Beetle).

Someone please give me (easy to tell my spouse) information on how the Mac OS or the iMac can handle PC programs, documents etc.

The MacOS can read PC disks (though the iMac has no floppy drive) and files, and open them if the format is supported by a Mac piece of software. For example, .jpg, .gif, .txt, etc files all can be opened by a number of Mac applications. For more proprietary file formats, you'll have to check and see if there is a comparable piece of software on the Mac. You can read Excel and Word files on Office 98, and import other types of files.

As far as PC programs go, you'll have to buy an emulation package such as Virtual PC or Softwindows 95/98. Chances are that it will be a bit slow, but manageable. If you can give us more information on the type of software you want to run on it, I'm sure we can help a bit more.

Jason
Hi ComfortablyNumb,

MacOS can read Windows-formatted floppies, Zip cartridges, etc., and most major PC software titles are also available in Mac versions. So, for example, if you have Microsoft Word and Excel files on your PC, you can transfer them via Zip or floppy to a Macintosh, and bring them up in Microsoft Office '98 on the Mac. Similarly, you can create or modify documents in Office '98 on the Mac, and then transfer them to your PC and continue to work on them.

If you have PC applications that are unavailable on the Mac, you can get VirtualPC http://www.connectix.com/html/connectix_virtualpc.html or SoftWindows http://www.insignia.com/softwindows/mac/products/sw98_brief.html and have the best of both worlds: a complete version of Windows running on your Macintosh. Then just load your PC applications onto the Mac and you're up and running!

Help me convince my wife that I know what I thinking about.

She should talk to my wife, who is totally thrilled with her new iMac. Macs are so much easier (not to mention more fun) to use, that it would be almost cruel to inflict a Windows-based PC on your family. ;-) And then there's all that time you'll save not having to fix things that break in Windows, which leaves more time to be with the family...

I have owned AAPL since early '97 ($19) and want to further support them through a purchase.

Congratulations on getting into AAPL at a great price!

Long live Apple and VW (Beetle).

Amen!

Regards,

Jonathan
If you can give us more information on the type of software you want to run on it, I'm sure we can help a bit more.

Thanks for the advise Jason.

I will want to work with Quark, Illustrator and Freehand again and will surely be using a word processor and spreadsheet. I currently work with Corel Office 7 and Office 97 at work and the PC format is used exclusively throughout my company and my children's schools.

Although I'm not working in design at present (obviously), getting back into a Mac will help speed up the goal.

These are examples of what will happen:

1) Everyone will work on a PC during the day and want to continue working on their documents at home. 2) Take work from home back to the office and school and expect to pull it up with the usual PC software. 3) Want to send and receive files through Email and be able to read, edit etc.
In other words, operate seamlessly between platforms.

Feel free to explain as much as possible or if there is a site containing most of it, I've got the time to research.
Dear ComfortablyNumb,

Quark is cross platform compatible, but I am not sure about Illustrator and Freehand. I hope you get back into design (I've been using the Mac for that purpose for years), but even if it's not your career, just using a Mac makes one feel like an artist, and that's what really counts.

Good luck in your project.

I've just got to ask one question: is your user name based on your current computer situation at work, or is there some other, more inscrutable meaning behind it?
I will want to work with Quark, Illustrator and Freehand again and will surely be using a word processor and spreadsheet. I currently work with Corel Office 7 and Office 97 at work and the PC format is used exclusively throughout my company and my children's schools.

I'm not sure about Corel, but all of the others you list are available for the Mac. Apple has the following resource site for finding Mac software: http://macsoftware.apple.com/ . I'm not sure how comprehensive it is, but it's a good place to start to see how compatible you can be.

I use a PC at work and a Mac at home. I'm constantly e-mailing files, mostly Word or Excel back and forth without problems.

Jason
"I'm not sure about Corel, but all of the others you list are available for the Mac."

Not only are they available for the Mac, they were initially all developed for the Mac. Don't forget that Apple and Adobe pioneered (with Aldus, which marketed Pagemaker) desktop publishing, from which the whole revolution in typesetting, design implementation, and prepress began back in the mid-80's.

I use QuarkXPress, Illustrator, and Photoshop extensively in my design work. Whereas once inside the applications they appear to be the same on both Mac and Windows platforms, use on Windows is significantly more complicated in file handling and in implementation and use of production options.

Having used both platforms, I am loath to do my design work on Windows. Luckily, as an independent designer doing free-lance contract work for a number of top graphic design and corporate identity firms, I never have to (except for a six-week stint at Microsoft about a year ago). Any firm that is serious about graphic design and pre-press uses Macintosh exclusively. Last year I worked briefly in a third-rate house that, when Apple was having serious problems a couple years ago, had planned to replace its Macs with PCs. When the design staff heard about the plans, they threatened to resign en masse if the plans were implemented. (The Macs stayed.)

/Gary/
One potential problem with a cross-platform situation is viruses that can also be cross-platform...anybody have a suggestion of the best anti-virus solutions to keep one's homebound Mac from being devastated by PC viruses??
There are the usual anti-virus programs, but I've been advised by technies that PC viruses don't affect Macs. Anyone know otherwise?
There are the usual anti-virus programs, but I've been advised by technies that PC viruses don't affect Macs. Anyone know otherwise?

Yes, there's no way for a "traditional" PC virus to infect a Mac, but I think that Word and Excel Macro virii are just as cross-platform as the files.

Jason

Microsoft products often carry cross platform macro viruses and you should definitely use antiviral software if going between machines.

The best anti-virus software would be Dr. solomon's Virex (I beleive the macintosh virex has been sold off to some company called NAI). It destroys a nasty and common autostart virus that Norton Antivirus is unable to detect. you can download it from their site for free
http://beta.nai.com/virex/download.html#virex

for more info:
http://beta.nai.com/virex/whatsnew.html

>>
>> One potential problem with a cross-platform
>>situation is viruses that can also be cross-
>>platform...anybody have a suggestion of
>> the best anti-virus solutions to keep one's
>>homebound Mac from being devastated by PC viruses??