Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey all,

Late 2013 iMac 27, Catalina (10.15.5), 1.75 tb free on 3 tb fusion drive, 24 gig ram with no new 3rd party software additions or new apps recently (months to years). Is my personal device and really isn’t used extensively anymore.... most surfing done on an iPad now but a desktop has many advantages and I like this one...

I have up to date ™ backups and a relatively up to date Bootable SuperDuper clone...Data loss isn’t a massive concern right now..

Anyhoo... It has been a flawless machine until yesterday. It is now slower than slow... painfully slow opening anything...Especially a web browser (safari or chrome)... I tried to run malware bytes overnight (wouldn’t finish) I have diskwarrior but it won’t repair or even check the internal drive... something about APFS format. I obviously don’t know what to do to dx or fix the problem...

I have rebooted several times and created a new user account ... no help. I’m now running off aN external spinner connected by usb3...it is a several month old SD clone... it’s faster than my internal drive but not a permanent answer...

Am I dealing with impending hdd failure or something else? With no Apple stores nearby ( or open?) I’m not sure how to proceed...

All help and ideas appreciated...

TIA

Mick
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.