Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<My question is how do I get my money out of my current IRA account and into an account I can
self-manage? My concerns are avoiding penalties for early withdrawal. >>

Go to the discount broker board at TMF and start searching. Each broker has its strengths & weaknesses, but you should be able to find one that suits your needs. Open an IRA account with that broker and also fill out the account transfer paperwork (which they'll provide) which authorizes them to get your current custodian to send the funds to the new custodian. Generally, this entails selling mutual fund shares, but that doesn't sound like it'll be a problem since you sound like you're losing your enthusiam for mutuals (good for you!). As long as you do a custodian-to-custodian transfer & never touch the money yourself, there are no tax/penalty issues.

<<Do discount brokers offer IRA accounts that individuals can transfer into and then self-manage?>>

Yessiree Bob! Again, the TMF discount broker board is a good place to start looking. Some other links:

Good luck,
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.