Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
ImAGolfer:

And another c.w. op! No, to me FT8 and whatever -- this biz of talk into a PC to get to a PC and then to ham radio -- isn't for real. I use just wires and I work the world whenever I like -- directly. (Of course, a lot of them love to get Vermont!)

Vermonter
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
"What do others like or dislike?

We think one good aspect of being older like we are is the freedom to do what we please!

Vermonter "

I enjoy reading, walking, hiking, wandering through civil war and revolutionary war
battlefields going to baseball games, hockey games, automobile racing and
driving in the country.
Since DW has lost the stamina to stand at the stove too long, I have learned to enjoy
cooking and experimenting with recipes. Eating the food prepared is also a joy as well
as going out.
Movies and theater are fun as well.
Hiking in the mountains or walking along the seashore is relaxing - but I may be repeating myself.

Howie52
My tastes are much like yours. I always have lots of activities I can do in my home, and don't see a lot of reasons to go elsewhere to do things when I can be happy at home at negligible additional cost.

I've also held an amateur radio license since circa 1970 ----just renewed it on line, actually. Have you done that?

Seattle Pioneer
<<wandering through civil war and revolutionary war
battlefields >>

Not very much of that here in Washington State, although we do have two national parks that memorialize the "Pig War" with the Brits that was never actually fought:

https://www.nps.gov/sajh/learn/historyculture/the-pig-war.ht...

So what battlefields do you particularly enjoy visiting, and why?

Seattle Pioneer
SP:

Yes, I recently enlisted ARRL help to renew (free) for another 10 years, being an optimist! I was first licensed in 1955, when ham radio was hot stuff. Started a radio club in high school and graduated leaving behind 30 members (most licensed), a club station, and a school teacher as counselor. Few of them are still active, sadly.

I also was on the ARRL Hq/QST staff from 1962 to 1966, BTW, and am a life member since 1962. (They must lose money on my QST mailings after all these years!)

Vermonter
"What do others like or dislike? We think one good aspect of being older like we are is the freedom to do what we please!" - Vermonter

Catching fish and cleaning and eating them. And by the way squirrels are delicious too.

Streaming netflix is the best. We watch a lot of netflix streaming. We also got Amazon Prime so we get to stream that too.

I like to cook and eat and I also actually enjoy grocery shopping and looking for bargains. Especially meat and cheese. I'm on a low carb diet now so I eat a lot of meat (mostly chicken) but pretty much any other animal I can get my hands on too.

We don't go out to eat too often - mostly birthdays or celebrations like getting our taxes done. That's a big pain the butt every year. We both dread it and breath a sigh of relief when it's done.

I take care of the yard, you know mow, trim, pick up sticks. Yesterday we both went out early and cleaned out gutters. I actually kind of enjoyed both of us going outside together and doing that and it made me feel good to get it done.

We used to go to Florida every year either Key West, Florida or Panama City Beach, Florida. Not so much anymore. My wife is watching out for her 90 year old mother and we got a cat and I think my wife isn't that crazy about traveling anymore either.

Art
No. of Recommendations: 3
Art53:

Soon after we bought this place 20 years ago, we added on a living room, foyer and powder room, necessitating a new roof, of course. At that time, we chose to redo the whole house roof and eliminated all gutters. We're so happy we did! We have a large overhang all around, with the special layer of waterproof stuff all along the edge for the first 30 inches or so, under the rest of the roofing. No more worry about gutters!

Vermonter
we're not fond of the idea of taking a cruise

You are not alone. Some get sea sick. Some find the cabins claustrophobic.

An alternative is to fly to a resort somewhere and relax and enjoy. Sandals is famous for its all inclusive vacations. Much like a cruise but all on dry land. Club Med. There are lots of them.

And of course there are people who get an RV and go driving. And plenty of tours out there for whatever you find interesting. History, battles, cities, mountains, National Parks, sea shores, islands, etc, etc.

I enjoy the Road Scholar trips. They include lectures on the background of the places you visit. And they do a great job of making people feel welcome. Full range from hiking and biking to take it easy tours.
No. of Recommendations: 5
What do other retired folks like (and dislike)?

In no particular order my likes/dislikes:

- Mass on weekends
- The morning paper
- The gym
- People that show off at the gym (i.e.: my water bottle is bigger than your water bottle)
- Volunteering
- Stupid people where I volunteer (i.e.: come to hospital with absolutely no idea where they are going or what doctor they are visiting or what day it is for that matter)
- Playing golf
- Slow play on the golf course. Using a cell phone while playing golf.
- Folks that don't adhere to 'cart path only' rules when it's wet on the course.
- People that back into parking spaces especially when the space is on an up ramp in a parking garage
- Amateur Radio. Licensed since 1970. Life member since early '70s.
- Working DX (315 confirmed in Logbook of the World).
- Amateur Radio contests. I'm in one right now but taking a break.
- Visiting grandkids
- Cruises
- The Texans (Season ticket holder 2002-2016) Drank enough Miller Lites tailgating to float a battleship. Now it's easier to watch them on the boob tube.
- My wife and the boys.
- The Motley Fool.
- Watching the portfolio on Fidelity.

Regards,

ImAGolfer (retired '03)
No. of Recommendations: 2
Suum cuique (to each his own). :)
"So what battlefields do you particularly enjoy visiting, and why?"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I grew up walking the battlefields at Gettysburg and Antietam - and then spent
vacations taking my children and niece to those locales. We visited Fort McHenry
often and also the Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Wilderness battlefields. We
spent time walking and hiking in the Harper's Ferry area. We walked Cowpens and
Kings Mountain. I visited the Lexington and Concord site and had a very pleasant
afternoon walking.
I have driven though a few of the battles from Chattanooga to Atlanta and plan to do
more walking south of Chattanooga.

Howie52
...At that time, we chose to redo the whole house roof and eliminated all gutters.

IIRC, you live in for border a forest. If so, is your house fairly fire resistant? Living in California I am now aware of forest fires like never before.

TB
<<I have driven though a few of the battles from Chattanooga to Atlanta and plan to do
more walking south of Chattanooga.

Howie52 >>

Perhaps Sherman's line of advance from Vicksburg through Georgia should be set up as a national hiking trail.

The theme song of hikers would obviously be:

<<
Ring the good ol' bugle, boys, we'll sing another song,
Sing it with the spirit that will start the world along,
Sing it as we used to sing it 50,000 strong
While we were marching through Georgia.

[Chorus]: Hurrah, hurrah, we bring the jubilee!
Hurrah, hurrah, the flag that makes you free!
So we sang the chorus from Atlanta to the sea
While we were marching through Georgia!

How the darkies shouted when they heard the joyful sound!
How the turkeys gobbled which our commissary found!
How the sweet potatoes even started from the ground
While we were marching through Georgia! [Chorus]

Yes, and there were Union men who wept with joyful tears
When they saw the honored flag they had not seen for years.
Hardly could they be restrained from breaking forth in cheers

"Sherman's dashing Yankee boys will never reach the coast!"
So the saucy rebels said, and 'twas a handsome boast,
Had they not forgot, alas, to reckon with the host

So we made a thoroughfare for freedom and her train,
Sixty miles in latitude, 300 to the main.
Treason fled before us, for resistance was in vain
While we were marching through Georgia! [Chorus]>>
SP: The theme song of hikers would obviously be:

<<

etc

Dad moved to Georgia during WW-2 for a better job. (I don't know how he managed to avoid the draft.) He found at that time that the Civil War was still recalled with rancor. The word Yankee was always preceded by "Damn". In later years I found him to be racist and conservative in his views, but he could not tolerate the way Georgia treated people of color. Sherman's march to the sea was a disaster for everyone, not only for the army. I suspect the people in Georgia are still angry over the excessive brutality of that expedition.

CNC
<< In later years I found him to be racist and conservative in his views, but he could not tolerate the way Georgia treated people of color. Sherman's march to the sea was a disaster for everyone, not only for the army. I suspect the people in Georgia are still angry over the excessive brutality of that expedition.

CNC >>

It was brutal against the property needed to continue the war.

I'm not at all surprised that the people who experienced this warfare hated it.

I don't think it was excessive, it was just what was needed. The United States during the invasion of Germany did to much of the entire country what only a swath of the south experienced under Sherman. It went a long ways towards ending the war.

In short ---- tough.

Seattle Pioneer
ImAGolfer:

A fellow DXer!

Yes, I have been an HR member for many years and only lack BS7 (Scarborough Reef) and P5 (North Korea), but it doesn't matter much! :)

Vermonter
"SP: The theme song of hikers would obviously be:

<<

etc

Dad moved to Georgia during WW-2 for a better job. (I don't know how he managed to avoid the draft.) He found at that time that the Civil War was still recalled with rancor. The word Yankee was always preceded by "Damn". In later years I found him to be racist and conservative in his views, but he could not tolerate the way Georgia treated people of color. Sherman's march to the sea was a disaster for everyone, not only for the army. I suspect the people in Georgia are still angry over the excessive brutality of that expedition.

CNC "

My DW was from Lancaster, Ohio - birthplace of General Sherman. When we drove
to Florida for our honeymoon, she refused to drive through Atlanta. She had
heard of drivers being harassed. I had never thought about the situation -
but when "The Civil War" show on national public television came on, there was a
discussion about "Marching Through Georgia" and the song was played as a dirge in
Georgia.

I forgot to mention driving around Columbia, SC - as that was a city where the Union forces
had been claimed to have started the fires that destroyed the city. However, the
fires were thought to be from other causes.
Howie52: My DW was from Lancaster, Ohio - birthplace of General Sherman. When we drove
to Florida for our honeymoon, she refused to drive through Atlanta. She had
heard of drivers being harassed. I had never thought about the situation -
but when "The Civil War" show on national public television came on, there was a
discussion about "Marching Through Georgia" and the song was played as a dirge in
Georgia.

My stint in the army took me to Redstone Arsenal, Alabama (in the 1960's) to the missile school there. One of my fellow students was of the black persuasion. He was afraid to drive into town (Huntsville.) But there came the day he had to drive into town (I think it had to do with his voter registration or some such - maybe driver's license.) Sure enough, his car was rear-ended by a blonde Alabama lady. She was gracious and apologized profusely, and her insurance covered his damage. Of course, one could rationalize that Huntsville was inured to Yankees and other riff-raff because of the arsenal. This was where the Apollo program was developed. The test firings of the main engines were awesome. Some windows were broken in the town. I was able to witness a test firing.

CNC
only lack BS7 (Scarborough Reef)

I had an opportunity to work Scarborough on two different occasions. Called and called but no dice. I think to have any luck with Scarborough you need: 1. Illegal power. 2. A 200 foot tower with a 20 element monobander. 3. Live on the West Coast. 4. A ton of luck.

Regards,

ImAGolfer

P.S. North Korea is a moot point.
My monthly newsletter - ham radio , county hunting, parks on the air activation

http://chnewsonline.com/County%20Hunter%20News%20June%202019...

No DX to chase these days unless you run FT-8......or play in the DX contests....

I've got about 235 countries confirmed, but stopped back in 1983 and haven't had a good antenna system or location to chase DX since then.

t.
ImAGolfer:

I had BS7H in my sights last time they were on, and they were working 1's, with a big signal here. I was in there calling and think I'd have made it soon but we HAD to leave for an urgent trip so I heeded my wife's calling and shut down. Darn.

As for P5, I recall a Russian there on 10M SSB years ago. Heard him but he was on steadily so I guessed I'd get him later... which was about when he went on c.w. The NK's didn't understand it, busted in with guns drawn and shut him down. Finis.

Hey -- c'est la vie!

Good luck getting whatever else you need. If you want a head-scratcher, BTW, check out Minerva Reef -- FO8M. Not on the deleted list. Treated at ARRL as if it never was -- and it wasn't, but I "worked" it and got a card, too. Funny story.

I have fond memories of Gus Browning (whom I met once), Danny Weil, et al.

Vermonter
BTW, did you ever see the story of how they built a temporary deck out of 2x4's for 24 hours or so.

Weird.

Vermonter
No DX to chase these days unless you run FT-8

Personally I'm steering clear of FT-8. I have to plead a lot of ignorance about the mode but from what little I've read about FT-8 it takes all of the human element out of the sport. I'll just stick with CW.

Kind'a irritates me that what takes a lot of time and effort to accomplish (i.e.: working all available countries in the world) is child's play using FT-8. It's computer working computer. No humans involved.

Think about the difficulty of making DXCC on 160. Is it fair now to allow FT-8 contacts count towards DXCC?

Again I'm lacking a lot of insight about the mode but in the mean time I'm steering clear.

Regards,

ImAGolfer
I have fond memories of Gus Browning (whom I met once), Danny Weil, et al.

I think these two guys were extremely active right before I got started. If memory serves me one of these guys claimed he was operating from these exotic DX locations but really wasn't. I've worked enough Pirates over the years and don't care to go down that path again.

73 es DX,

ImAGolfer
BTW, did you ever see the story of how they built a temporary deck out of 2x4's for 24 hours or so.

You must be talking about Scarborough Reef. I've seen photos of a guy sitting on a rock in the middle of the ocean. He was sitting at some sort of jury rigged desk (presumably 2X4's). You have to ask 'How does this qualify as a country'? I'm guessing somewhere along the line they had a gas powered generator for the radios. I'd be concerned about getting shocked.

Of course if they kept the Miller Lites flowing who cares.

Regards,

ImAGolfer
<<. If memory serves me one of these guys claimed he was operating from these exotic DX locations but really wasn't. I've worked enough Pirates over the years and don't care to go down that path again.>>

Perhaps it would be amusing to claim you were transmitting from North Korea and imagining the NK FCC going nuts trying to find you...

Seattle Pioneer
Golfer:

You may be thinking of Don Miller. Gus was actually at most of his spots. Danny... dunno.

Colvins were another matter, too.

It was fun in those days. I've enjoyed DXing for over 50 years now.

Vermonter
Golfer:

I don't even know what FT8 is, and don't care to. I'm a c.w. op, mainly.

I also strongly dislike this PC to PC stuff instead of direct on-the-air radio. Like you operating a laptop in Manhattan and operating some fancy-schmancy station in Utah -- know what I mean? That's legal?

Bah... Whatever contests of DX I have I did it my way, from my own humble setup, no beams or towers, either -- just wires.

Vermonter
Golfer:

BTW, 73 DE W1ECH
SP:

"Perhaps it would be amusing to claim you were transmitting from North Korea and imagining the NK FCC going nuts trying to find you..."

Ha! Yeah, that'd be fun from some ship on the high seas or a nearby country!!!

Vermonter
ImAGolfer:

Several hams here -- surprise! You, sp, telegraph... others?

We should be posting on the Radio board, which never gets much of any action (except from me). I'd be curious who is whom (calls), too.

Vermonter
ImAGolfer:

And another c.w. op! No, to me FT8 and whatever -- this biz of talk into a PC to get to a PC and then to ham radio -- isn't for real. I use just wires and I work the world whenever I like -- directly. (Of course, a lot of them love to get Vermont!)

Vermonter