No. of Recommendations: 1
ImaGolfer:"I thought you lived in the Dallas area. "

I do but I grew up in NJ......went off to college in NY (not any batter tax wise but that's where college was)......

Then moved the Chicago suburbs for 3 years for my first job....then down to Central Virginia for 12 years.......then 8 years in Arlington VA just outside DC. VA was OK on taxes......but their income tax sucked.....low real estate taxes for me at the time.

Then I got 'moved' to TX and been here 28 years. Good tax situation. I can't think of any place I'd rather be FULL TIME than here. Since I'm retired, I can escape most of the hot summers by traveling. Winters aren't too bad and still have time to travel.

However, I still think of NJ......we had a summer place in NW NJ. Was nice - a bit rural at the time and 'summer only' for nearly all the residents. Now is 50/50.....and too crowded....and lake full of algae from too many folks fertilizing too many lawns to perfection.

People who grew up there and have family there have a hard time moving out.

My parents retired......sold their NJ house near NYC...and moved to upstate NY in the summer, and to FL in the winter. FL was their tax residence. Nearly all my uncles and aunts stayed behind in NJ.....too attached.....same for most of cousins.....

Folks leaving New England and NJ and NY for FL...... maybe for only half a year.....are increasing.....

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.