No. of Recommendations: 0
IMO, this is not legitimate "real reason" for invading anther country. Maybe if this was WWIV, it would be. For me to justify it, WMD's have to be the "real reason" And the strategic advantage gained is just an added benefit.

I guess it depends on what you consider the stakes to be.

Again recapping, I have made the argument since 9/11 that the terrorist have found our achilles heel. I contend that our Bill of Rights is fundamentally incompatible with the need to defend ourselves against terrorism within the United States.

As we see the attacks that this Administration has launched against the Bill of Rights in the name of protecting against terrorism, I submit that my argument is fully validated.

And I further submit that those who blame the Bush Administration particularly for these assaults are largely wrong; a Gore Administration would have done similar things, for similar reasons, because, ultimately (Ben Franklin quotations notwithstanding) the American people demand to be made safe against the terrorists and will willingly trade freedom for security.

Therefore, I argue that if we do not abate the threat of foreign state-sponsored terrorism, we will permanently lose the Bill of Rights.

Viewed in this light, the War on Terror is as much a war for our survival as World War II was.

I therefore propose that we must win the war on terror, regardless of cost, regardless of what we have to do to win because the cost of not winning is far higher, that cost being everything we are and everything we have.

Within that context, AND given the history with Iraq since Gulf War I, the attack is fully justified.

I have considered the logic to be inexorable, and I continue to consider it to be inexorable. I am not sure it is complete; possibly there is an alternative other than war to eliminate terrorism without surrendering to the terrorists, but if there is then I have no idea what it is.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.