Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Six months on the '03 Impala...not a single problem. It looks like the Harbor Report is right on at least one front--GM's initial quality is much better than a few years ago.

On other new cars, I've always kept a list of all the stuff that is wrong "as delivered," and goes wrong under warrantee. At six months, I don't have the first entry on the list, which is a first.

We need to keep in mind that stock buy-backs, corporate credit ratings, and pension fund shortfalls influence the stock price, but the primary mission of GM is to build cars and trucks that people want to buy (and buy again, and recommend to their friends...).
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Six months on the '03 Impala...not a single problem. It looks like the Harbor Report is right on at least one front--GM's initial quality is much better than a few years ago.

Hate to pick a nit here (or is that nat?), but the James Harbor Report measures productivity, in hours worked per vehicle produced. It's the J.D. Power survey that measures initial quality, in problems reported per 100 vehicles. Initial quality is owner response within the first 90 days of ownership, generally at the historical start of the model year, approximately Sept thru Dec each year. JD Power results are published in May of each year.

Harbor reports are published in June, and were just published last week for 2002.

Dan
Driving at nothing

Glad to hear about your Impala. Do you have our 3800 V6?

Hate to pick a nit here (or is that nat?), but the James Harbor Report measures productivity...

Initial quality is owner response ...JD Power results are published in May of each year.

Doh! You're right--I was reading Harbor reports recently, and had that name "on the brain."

Glad to hear about your Impala. Do you have our 3800 V6?

Yup--I own a 3.4L in a U-Van, and didn't want to repeat. The 3800 is smooth, powerful, and I get an extra half a mpg than in my 3.1L Lumina. The 3800 was extra on the base model that I bought, but came with ABS and a stiffer front suspension.

My one big foray into GM stock came in December 1991. The economy had been bad for 18 months, and the car market had been WAY down. I figured that there was a big 'pent up' demand for cars, and GM stock, at 26, was beaten down pretty bad. Unfortunately, this time around there isn't any 'pent up' demand for cars when the overall economy roars back.
Yup--I own a 3.4L in a U-Van, and didn't want to repeat. The 3800 is smooth, powerful, and I get an extra half a mpg than in my 3.1L Lumina. The 3800 was extra on the base model that I bought, but came with ABS and a stiffer front suspension

In case it isn't totally obvious, I work at the 3800 V6 engine plant in Flint, MI. This year (2004Model Year) we are putting not only the 3800 in the Impala, but the supercharged 3800 in the Impala SS. We're all hoping it is received well, as the SS moniker has a great history at Chevrolet, and the supercharged 3800 has only been used in Buicks and Pontiacs in the past.

Best of luck with your Impala.

Dan

Demonstrating a notice