Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
[[In 1997, I sold some land that I had purchased about 12 years ago. It was purchased for the
purpose of building a home, but nothing was ever done with it (It is not business property). I need
to know what I can use to adjust the BASIS or deduct. I have the following expenses:
Closing costs on purchase and sale.
Property tax
Interest on loan
Subdivision assessments for road improvement, etc.]]

Sorry, but no black and white answers here. Not without knowing more about the issues. For additional information on the basis of property, check out IRS Publication 551 at the IRS web site.

Generally your closing costs on the purchase are an addition to basis. Your closing costs on the sale of the property are expenses of the sale (reducing your profit).

The property taxes are generally "period" expenses which are deducted on an annual basis. There are situations where property taxes must be capitalized and added to the basis of the property, but I doubt that you are in this situation.

Same thing with interst expense. Sounds like the property was investment property (at least for some time...could have been home mortgage for a while), and the expense is a period expense which should have been deducted in the past on your annual tax returns. Again, I doubt that you would meet the rules that would cause the interestest to be capitalized.

Generally, the expenses incurred in subdivision will add to the basis of the property.

TMF Taxes

SPECIAL NOTE: I try to answer as many questions as I can each week, and I generally select those that have not been asked before. If you don't get a detailed answer to your question, it is probably because my time is so limited during tax season, or because it has already been asked and answered in this folder in the past, or because it has been discussed in the Taxes Frequently Asked Questions area. In order to visit the Taxes FAQ area, go to the Fool's School area ( and check out "Other Features" in the list box, OR you can jump directly to the Taxes FAQ area ( Additionally, if any references were made to the IRS Web Site, you can get there by pointing your web browser to (
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.