Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
In 2012 for the first time I rented out the master suite in my home on, to students or travelers, by the month. Airbnb has sent me a 1099 misc. I bought this condo unfurnished in 2012 so in order to rent out a room I had to buy furniture and accessories, linens, TV, etc.

Can I deduct the things I bought for the room, and if so on what form?

Furniture and accessories are depreciable assets. You will need to complete Form 4562 and Schedule E. There are other expenses which you can deduct directly from your rental income.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.