Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
in a way i think you are right, i don't think MSFT bought VPC to kill it off for the Mac, i think they did it so that they can kill off any possibility of VPC for a Linux desktop

Despite Microsoft's history of killing off products that are a threat to their monopoly, I don't think this case fits that pattern.

Microsoft wants to get copies of Windows on everyone's machines. We know Microsoft wants to launch a switcher campaign. What if that campaign centers around the low cost of running VPC with a copy of Windows on existing machines? It would probably be more effective than trying to make people buy new machines and throw away their old ones. (Sort of like the old argument for OS X on Intel.) Microsoft could make VPC for the Mac much more viable by including speedy PPC native version with VPC.

It doesn't matter much to Microsoft whether they sell their copies of Windows for Dell machines or Apple machines. Microsoft wants to keep developers writing code for Windows first. If they can get themselves installed on most Macs and Linux boxes, then a significant group of developers will remain comfortable developing only for Windows.

In the long run, would this strategy extend or diminish Microsoft's control of the desktop? I'm hoping that Microsoft believes it is a way to expand their influence into markets that have begun to slip away from them, and that taking control of VPC is a way to profit off of Apple's compelling hardware, while still competing directly with the OS.

Rodg.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.