No. of Recommendations: 0
In addition, I think I understand that I can contribute $2k to two Roth IRAs, one in my name and one in my spouse's name, even though my spouse has no income. Is this legal?


Now, when I quit the company I work for I plan to transfer the 401(k) monies into one of the Roth accounts.

Technically, you can't do this. What you do is rollover the 401K to a Traditional IRA, then you can convert that to a Roth IRA, but the end result is the same.

It is my understanding that this transfer does *not* sount toward the $2k yearly I am allowed to contribute.


Will I have to pay takes on that 401(k) money when the transfer (rollover?) takes place?

When you convert funds from the Traditional IRA to a Roth IRA, they are included as income in the year they are converted. You declare the income and pay any taxes owed when you file your taxes. Of course, if the tax cost is prohibitive, you can choose to convert only a portion of the funds each year, spreading out the tax burden.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.