No. of Recommendations: 1
In another thread, I asked whether an Apple Authorized Service Provider might be cheaper than the Apple Store, for repairs.

That is a 50/50 proposition. The AASC will sometimes be cheaper when there is a service charge involved, but not always. However, if you have an iMac with APP, something a lot of folks do not realize is that AppleCare will send someone to your site if you are within 50 miles of an Apple Retail Store. Yes, they will do on-site service if AppleCare determines it is a hardware issue.

A while back, I had some hardware issues that were under AppleCare and had them send out someone to replace the logic board in my iMac. The issue in particular was my Thunderbolt port. For these on-site calls, Apple sends AASPs. Apple actually specifies in their ACT training material is that the tech must use a Thunderbolt cable to ensure the logic board is seated properly.

So, the person they sent out replaced the logic board. I let the guy do his work because I know I hate when someone hovers on me asking tons of questions while I am working, but I did not leave the room. When he finished, I asked if her was going to test out the Thunderbolt port since that was the issue. He said he did not bring any cables or adapters including Thunderbolt, and could not test it. Having done his job, I was flabbergasted. Never mind the fact that Apple actually requires it, to actually go on site without ANY cables or adapters with which to test is, to me, absolutely ridiculous.

So, I will take those guys with not just a grain of salt, but an entire saltshaker.

Kathleen
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.