Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
In any event, if you're a TurboTaxer, there is a line entry for rents received and reported via 1099-MISC and a separate line entry for rents received otherwise. The only onus on you is making the entry on the correct line so the IRS computers can match against any 1099 the Motherhouse might issue. The 1099 simply documents a deduction for the issuer, not a receipt by you. But it does create the small burden of ensuring you make the entry on the correct line.

I disagree. The onus is to report the income in the rental portion of Schedule E. Perhaps one of the ERO's on the board can tell us whether the input field you reference is even sent to the IRS.

I have never used the input field for NEC reported on a 1099-MISC. I simply report the income on line 1 of Schedule C without tying it to the 1099. The IRS has never bothered me looking for double the amount I reported.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.