Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
In case someone has forgotten, the ten commandments include prohibitions on theft and lying.

Someone relying on the English translation might think so, but
surely you know better.

There is a commandment against vain oaths made in G-ds name, which is not the same as lying.

And our mesorah teaches that the 8th commandment refers to stealing people (kidnapping).

There are other mitzvot relating to theft, but that’s not part of the aseret hadibrot.

Indeed I can read and clearly understand the Hebrew original.

The eighth commandment is just two words, which mean "do not steal". There is no ambiguity.
The ninth commandment is not to bear false witness. Since at the time these were written there were no courts, I take it to mean that any lying is forbidden.

I don't need any self appointed "sages" to tell me what is plainly written.

Elan
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
I would think if they were observant in honoring the Ten Commandments, they probably wouldn't have been incarcerated in the first place. Can you mount a Mezuzah on your cell door?

Fuskie
Who is sorry for you on your old acquaintance...

-----
Premium Home Fool: Ask me a Foolish Question, I'll give you a Foolish Response!
Ticker Guide: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP), Vivendi SA (VIVHY), Mimecast (MIME), Hain Celestial (HAIN), Royce Micro Capital Trust (RMT)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disassociation: The views and statements of this post are Fuskie's and are not intended to represent those of The Motley Fool or any other sane body
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx#Condu...
Invitation: You are invited to interactively watch Motley Fool Live online television: https://livechat.fool.com
Call to Action: If you like this or any other post, Rec it. Better yet, reply to it. Even better, start your own thread. This is YOUR TMF Community!
No. of Recommendations: 0
if they were observant in honoring the Ten Commandments

The crime (to which this person pled guilty) was not one of the Ten Commandments.

(Which is to say, this person was not charged with idolatry, using G-d's name in vain, failure to keep the Sabbath, failing to show respect to his parents, etc.)
(Which is to say, this person was not charged with idolatry, using G-d's name in vain, failure to keep the Sabbath, failing to show respect to his parents, etc.)

In case someone has forgotten, the ten commandments include prohibitions on theft and lying.

Elan
The beauty of the 10 Commandments is that you can usually ascribe just about any crime to one of them.

Fuskie
Who is preparing for his first virtual High Holidays this weekend...

-----
Premium Home Fool: Ask me a Foolish Question, I'll give you a Foolish Response!
Ticker Guide: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP), Vivendi SA (VIVHY), Mimecast (MIME), Hain Celestial (HAIN), Royce Micro Capital Trust (RMT)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disassociation: The views and statements of this post are Fuskie's and are not intended to represent those of The Motley Fool or any other sane body
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx#Condu...
Invitation: You are invited to interactively watch Motley Fool Live online television: https://livechat.fool.com
Call to Action: If you like this or any other post, Rec it. Better yet, reply to it. Even better, start your own thread. This is YOUR TMF Community!

surely you know better.

There is a commandment against vain oaths made in G-ds name, which is not the same as lying.

And our mesorah teaches that the 8th commandment refers to stealing people (kidnapping).

There are other mitzvot relating to theft, but that’s not part of the aseret hadibrot.

surely you know better.

Indeed I can read and clearly understand the Hebrew original.

The eighth commandment is just two words, which mean "do not steal". There is no ambiguity.
The ninth commandment is not to bear false witness. Since at the time these were written there were no courts, I take it to mean that any lying is forbidden.

Elan

In Exodus (Shemot) 13:9, it says:

"V'haya l'cha l'ot al yadecha, ulzicaron bayn anecha."

Without relying on our mesorah, can you explain what it is we are supposed to put on our hands and between our eyes?

(Sorry about the transliteration; you can find the Hebrew here: http://www.mechon-mamre.org/i/t/t0213.htm)
"V'haya l'cha l'ot al yadecha, ulzicaron bayn anecha."

Without relying on our mesorah, can you explain what it is we are supposed to put on our hands and between our eyes?

I don't know and I don't care. As far as I'm concerned it's yet another ridiculous ritual.

Elan
I don't know and I don't care.

I, on the other hand, know exactly what it means, despite my lousy Hebrew.

Because our mesorah tells us.