Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
not to use a cell phone while driving.

(don't worrry, nobody dies in this post)

Last weekend one of my best friends was driving at night with the windows rolled up, the radio turned on, and using a cell-phone. The next thing he knew he had just hit/was hit by a train. That's right...a train.

He was driving on an unfamiliar road and after going over a hill he quickly came upon a set of railroad tracks. At the last second it registered that the railroad lights were blinking (there was no arm gate) and he hit the brakes. Unfortunately, he still hit the first box car after the engine. (On the other hand, the brakes stopped him fast enough to avoid getting broadsided by a train!) The impact spun him 180, which just slammed him against the train again, and then flung him about 30 yards. He never saw or heard the train approaching because it was traveling left to right, and he had the phone up to his left ear.

He ended up with a headache and a sore back. Hopefully he won't endure any chronic back or neck pain.

Unfortunately, he mangled a nice 2002 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition. On the other hand, he feels confident that the safety features (including 3 airbags for each front passenger) probably saved his life. He said the side curtain airbag stopped his head from going through the driver's side window.

Get a hands-free kit for your cell phone.

marxtacy

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2

Or just turn the thing off and get on with the job of driving. With todays traffic, and in areas one may not be familliar there is no time or need for the distraction.
No. of Recommendations: 3

=======================================================================

Folks talking on a cell phone while driving, whether they're using one hand or two hands on the steering wheel, are more impaired than your average drunk driver. The penalties should be the same.

UncleLee

No. of Recommendations: 2
The good news his he survived, and after 1 round of Jetta vs. train, he's likely to reevaluate his attention span. The bad news is if he had been on the "winning" side of the collision, would his priorities change at all?

Take the train out of the equation, and replace it with a motorcyclist one lane to the left. Cell Phone Guy decides to change lanes for a turn,(unfamiliar roads) and kills motorcyclist. Jetta is still driveable, and the next day, it's off to work, just like any other day, radio is on, windows up, on the cell phone, telling somebody about some damned-fool biker riding in his blind spot yesterday.

Street racing, drunk driving, cell phones, fast food; I don't care: ANYONE who shirks their responsibility on the road putting others at risk should be in prison.

Period.

6Speed, no tolerence for the lazy
No. of Recommendations: 1
The number of people I see talking on cell phones while driving is a major reason why I do not have a motorcycle. It bothers me knowing that regardless of how skilled I become at operating a motorcycle, I still stand a chance of being killed. Let me die from saving children from a burning bus, or even old age. I don't go out because somebody was chatting with a friend.

On another note, I even find it distracting when I am driving and somebody else is talking on the phone. I recently drove 3 hours with a friend of a friend. She sat in the backseat and talked on the phone for the whole ride. I swear if she would have said "like" or "uhh-hhh" one more time I would have thrown her and her phone out the window.

marxtacy