Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
In case you're interested, this is the recipe I'm using.
https://honest-food.net/venison-pastrami-recipe/

Interesting. In Rytek Kutas’ book “Great Sausage Recipes And Meat Curing”, his recipe calls for a wet cure (pumping) the meat (beef brisket) than a light smoke for 2 hours and increasing the smokehouse temperature to the 200 – 220 degree F range until the meat’s internal temperature reaches 175 – 180 degrees F. I don’t think an internal temperature of 145 degrees F would be hot enough properly cook & tenderize the meat, me. When you do it, please post the results here.

Back in my sausage and jerky making daze 30 or 25 years ago, I tried corning beef using Rytek’s wet cure and Instacure No 1. The cooked beef came out grey instead of a rosy red. I think using Instacure No 2 or a mixture of 1 & 2 would cure that minor problem (still gots boat 2 and 1 in the cabinet along with saltpeter but Tender Quick be easier to use IMHO). Weighing out 3 or 2 grams of the curing salts is also a pain.
;-)

C.J.V. - ain’t got enough teeth to chew jerky or “squaw candy” no more, me
;-(
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.