Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
in emmet's article about dividend investing becoming popular he seems to think that is good ?

A fine point. Dividend focused investing has worked just fine for a generation or so without really being "popular." I must admit, when Ben Stein's book came out I began to become concerned that my chosen strategy would become a real fad, thereby running up valuations and calling into question the long term viability of dividend investing as a market beating strategy. That said, I think Mathew was just trying to give a little marketing sizzle to what people often think of as a sleep inducing investment strategy.

On the whole II's picks are delivering market beating returns, notwithstanding NLY, the risks of which were always made quite clear. Actually, BRK has been given favorable mention as well, though the lack of a dividend bars it as a formal pick.

In general, if you can't already tell, I'm sold on dividend payers as the best overall area to focus on. There are, of course, counter arguments, but BRK is such a unique, personality driven story, that I would tend to say that it is not a fair counterpoint to assess the overall strategy. Also, as things stand with the tax code and cash piling up, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Master Warren had to grit his teeth and pay a dividend before long.

Abseconite
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.